5 quick tips to boost your mental health
Prioritizing your mental health isn't just something to do during mental health awareness month; it's something we should be doing every day. Taking time daily to focus on our health can build good habits and positively impact our mental well-being.
Here are five tips to help you build a good mental health practice:
- Prioritize quality sleep and essential self-care. Getting enough sleep, at least 7-8 hours nightly, and making time to unwind during waking hours is good self-care. Letting your mind and body relax also greatly influences mental health. Sleep well during the night and find time to slow down during the day to stay balanced.
- Exercise regularly and spend time in nature. Regular exercise and spending time in nature can help to reduce stress and anxiety and improve your mood. Aim to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity each day and spend some of that time outdoors for maximum results.
- Make time for hobbies and activities that bring joy. Doing what brings you the most joy can help improve your mood and provide a sense of purpose. Listen to music, dance, draw, garden or read. Do whatever it is you love most and do it often.
- Connect with family and friends and feel supported. Socializing and staying connected with people is important for mental health. Reach out to family and friends, join an online support group or connect with others who can relate to your struggles.
- Practice mindfulness and gratitude. Taking care of your mind is key to knowing what's going on in your head and your body. Take a moment to enjoy a few deep breaths while reflecting on the good in your life to help reduce stress and anxiety.
When life feels too heavy, these five tips may not be enough to lighten the load. Taking a mental health screening can help you determine if it's time to work with a mental health professional to get you back on the right track.